Who wants to sit with me and stare at this piece of cake all day long?!
It’s my birthday!
To celebrate, I made myself this vegan Oreo Ice Cream Cake, with a vegan vanilla Oreo frosting. Layered with a generous amount of crushed Oreos, a fudge brownie dairy-free ice cream, and a vanilla (or coconut salted caramel) dairy-free ice cream.
It’s become tradition in my household to celebrate our birthdays with an Oreo Ice Cream Cake from Dairy Queen. Since starting my plant-based journey earlier in 2020, I decided to make my own version of a Vegan Oreo Ice Cream Cake!
With store-bought dairy-free ice cream, it was a lot easier to put this whole thing together. It’s important to make sure the ice cream is softened down so that it’s easier to transform into a flat circular layer, to fit the shape of the cake.
Scroll down for the full video to see how it all came together!
Freeze until ready to serve!
I have a bad habit…
I could not wait for the cake to fully freeze and form its shape. My impatience hit hard and I made the mistake of digging in too early.
Not a mistake really, it was DELICIOUS!! But it would have been nice to wait a little longer and have it come out like the picture below (after properly waiting)!
I recommend freezing overnight for best results. You can certainly get away with freezing for a couple of hours, as long as the ice cream layers are frozen solid.
It’s turned out to be a decadent chocolate cake, with rich fudge-y and vanilla ice cream layers!
It’s a great dessert for any celebration. I made this one on Monday, and have been celebrating my birthday week with it every day since!
Here’s me testing out the first slice after properly freezing it. You can tell I was praying it turns out well…
Hope you give this recipe a try. I’m sure you will enjoy it! If you do, I would love to see your recreation and learn how it went. Leave me a comment here and tag me on Instagram/Facebook/Pinterest/TikTok @demeals.ca #demeals
Vegan Oreo Ice Cream CakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Make this fun delicious and easy Oreo Ice Cream cake, which happens to be vegan! Topped with a vanilla Oreo frosting. A great dessert for any celebration!
- Dry Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup neutral oil
2 tbsp ground chia & 6 tbsp water (chia eggs) – See Notes (1)
1 cup plant milk & 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk) – See Notes (2)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup warm plant milk & 1 tsp instant coffee – See Notes (3)
1 1/2 pint of fudge brownie, dairy-free, ice cream – softened.
1 1/2 pint of coconut & salted caramel, dairy-free, ice cream (softened) – See Notes (4)
1 package of Oreos (45 cookies), crushed – leaving 4 for toppings
- Vanilla Oreo Frosting
3 cups icing sugar
1 cup vegan butter – See Notes (5)
40 Oreo cookies (filling only)
1/4 cup plant milk – almond, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of salt
- Cake Layers
- Empty the ice cream into 2 separate 9×9 circular cake pans, flattened into an even layer.
- Freeze for an hour. Remove and fold one on top of the other, and refreeze for 2 hours.
- Remove the filling from 40 Oreos and set aside.
- Crush up the Oreo cookies in a food processor. Pulse manually a few times to get large crumbly pieces.
- Cake Batter
- Prepare the chia eggs. Whisk the ground chia with water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk. Whisk together the vinegar with plant milk. Set aside.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the wet ingredients. Adding the warm plant milk with coffee last.
- Use a hand mixer for about 1 minute to combine everything together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (or 175 C).
- Empty the cake batter into 2 cake pans, lined with parchment paper (or greased).
- Bake for 25 minutes – until a toothpick comes out clean in the centre.
- Let the cake cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on cooling rack before frosting.
- Vanilla Oreo Frosting
- Add the frosting ingredients into a large bowl and use a hand mixer on low speed until frosting is stiff.
- Once the cake is cooled down and ice cream is re-frozen, begin with placing the first cake upside down on a tray.
- Place a thin layer of the frosting and add a generous amount of crushed Oreos.
- Frost one side of the ice cream and place on top of the crushed Oreos. Place another thin layer of frosting and generous Oreos.
- Add the second cake and frost again with the rest of the crushed Oreos. Make 8 frosting tips and place 8 half Oreos on top of each.
- Freeze again for a few hours until ready to serve.
- (1) Make the chia eggs by whisking 2 tbsp ground chia with 6 tbsp water. You can substitute for ground flax if chia is not available.
- (2) Make the vegan butter milk buy whisking 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of plant milk – almond, unsweetened. You can substitute any neutral vinegar and plant milk.
- (3) Warm up 1 cup of plant milk in the microwave for 30 seconds, and whisk in 1 tsp of instant coffee until dissolved. Make sure you do this step right before mixing the batter to go into the pans. You can substitute for any neutral plant milk.
- (4) I was unable to find a vanilla dairy-free version, so I opted for the coconut & salted caramel. Turned out pretty tasty, can barely taste the coconut.
- (5) Make sure the plant milk, vinegar, and butter are all at room temperature before starting.