Tabouleh! Have you ever had it? It’s one of my favourite childhood dishes. A Middle Eastern salad, originating from Syria/Lebanon, this may be one of the only salads I enjoyed eating as a kid. It’s a sweet, fresh, and herby nutritious salad, filled with bulgur and greens.
Tabouleh was an essential salad that was always served in most Arabic gatherings and restaurants back home. It goes well with anything. From a full mediterranean table, to a side salad with rice and lentils. Or as an entrée of its own! This year, I made it alongside the Pumpkin Kibbeh Tray “Kibbet Elyaateen” – another childhood recipe that’s Holiday-Approved for this year’s Thanksgiving!
Hope you give this vegan recipe a try. I’m sure you’ll love it! If you do, I’d love to hear about your experience. Leave me a comment below, and rate the recipe with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. This will help us sustain demeals.
Take a photo of your dish, and tag us on Instagram @demeals.ca #demeals so we can see your remake!
- Tabouleh Base
1/4 Cup Bulgur
2 Bunch Parsley – finely chopped (or 1 1/2 Cups – tightly packed)
1 Cup Tomatoes – small dice
1 Cup Cucumbers – small dice
1/2 Cup Fresh Mint – tightly packed – finely chopped
3 Stalks Green Onion – thinly sliced
- Tabouleh Vinaigrette
1 1/2 Lemon – freshly squeezed
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/8 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
1/2 Tsp Sumac – Can substitute paprika if not available
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- The Rest
Romaine Lettuce Leaves – cut in halves
Cucumbers – sliced into thin sticks
Salt to taste
- Start by soaking the bulgur in hot water. Pour enough to cover all the bulgur in a small bowl. The bulgur should absorb most of the water within 10-15 minutes.
- Cut/prepare the rest of the tabouleh base ingredients. Add it all to a big bowl.
- Once the bulgur is ready, drain from excess water and set aside until cooled down. Add to the big bowl and give everything a good mix.
- Whisk the tabouleh vinaigrette ingredients in a jar. Pour over the mixed tabouleh base, and stir again to combine. Give it a taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Prepare the leaves of lettuce in a bowl (laying flat). Pour some of the tabouleh and spread it around. Place the cucumber sticks around the edges, then add the rest of the tabouleh and serve.
Enjoy your demeal!