I enjoy potlucks. Maybe a little too much. It’s only because the potlucks I usually go to are with friends from different cultures. So I get to try food from all around the world, right from one table. There have been less potlucks this year than before (understandably), so when we had the chance to have one again, I wanted to make something different and special. Something I haven’t made before.
I haven’t cooked with pumpkin much before this year. So I figured I would give it a try with this Pumpkin Pasta Bake. It did NOT disappoint! A super saucy creamy pasta dish, that will have you going in for seconds, and maybe thirds!
Whether you’re having a small group of people over for the Holidays, or making a dinner for two, try making this saucy Pumpkin Pasta Bake! It makes a great meal-prep lunch/dinner for the next week.
Hope you give this recipe a try. I’m sure you will enjoy it! If you do, I would love to see your recreation and learn how it went. Leave me a comment here and tag me in your photos on Instagram/Facebook/TikTok @demeals.ca #demeals
Pumpkin Pasta Bake
- Spice Mix
3 Tbsp Greek Seasoning
1 1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Allspice
1 Tsp Fresh Black Pepper
Salt to taste
2 Medium Carrots
1 Large Parsnip
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Banana Bell Pepper
1 Can Mini Corn Cobs
1 Can Chickpeas
1 Sweet Onion
5 Garlic Cloves
- The Rest
2 Tbsp Veggie Oil
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
2-3 Cups Veggie Broth
1 Tbsp Flour
3/4 Pumpkin Purée
1-2 Can Coconut Milk – well shaken
450g Cooked Pasta of choice
2-3 Cups Reserved Pasta Water
2 Cups Shredded Vegan Cheese – Smoked Gouda
Sesame Seeds & Green Onion – for garnishing
- Prepare the spice mix in a small bowl. Cut up the carrots and parsnips into small dice. Finley chop the onion and mince the garlic. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Cut the mini corn cobs into small dice.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of veggie oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the carrots and parsnips for 5-7 minutes. Add 1 Tsp of the spice mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp of vegan butter and bring back to heat. Cook the bell peppers and corn cobs for about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Add 2 Tsp of the spice mix, stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a large pot. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent and fragrant. Add the remaining spice mix and give it a good stir – add in splashes of veggie broth to avoid burning.
- Add the flour and stir gradually until dissolved. Add the pumpkin purée, coconut milk, and keep stirring to thicken. Add the cooked pasta, reserved water, and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F | 190 C.
- Add the cooked veggies and remaining broth to the pot. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens. Add 1 cup of the vegan cheese and give it a final stir.
- Pour the pasta into a baking dish and top it off with sesame seeds and remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 5-10. Remove and garnish with fresh green onion.
Enjoy your demeal!